What is Teeth Whitening?
It is a process that will make your teeth appear whiter by restoring the teeth color to its original state by removing stains, dirt, and debris. Teeth whitening is a safe and effective treatment that can boost your self-confidence and produce faster and longer-lasting results than whitening toothpastes or drugstore DIY teeth whitening kits.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
- A Brighter Smile - One of the huge cosmetic benefits of teeth whitening is that it instantly gives you a brighter, more appealing smile.
- Enhanced Self-Esteem - Discoloured teeth can likely make you feel embarrassed about showing your smile. So by restoring your teeth back to its color, teeth whitening also boosts your self-confidence.
- Better Oral Health - When stains in your teeth are removed, it reinforces the health and strength of your teeth, which lessens the likelihood of cavities and gum disease caused by accumulations of plaque – the sticky film that provides a breeding ground for harmful bacteria.
- Speedy Procedure - this procedure can whiten your teeth in a single, one-hour appointment, avoiding repeat applications of messy over-the-counter whitening kits.
- Long-Lasting Results - After the procedure, as long as you maintain proper oral hygiene at home, the results of teeth whitening are long-lasting
- Safer Treatment - Store-bought teeth bleaching kits may irritate your gums and increase tooth sensitivity
- A Boost for Your Professional Life - Studies in the USA suggest that people with an attractive smile are regarded as more intelligent and successful, even to the extent of helping them to land a job.
Am I a Candidate for Teeth Whitening?Tooth whitening is safe for most people and the best candidates are those who only have mild to moderate discoloration. But there are certain types of discoloration that cannot be corrected by whitening treatments, and there are certain dental or medical conditions that may reduce the chances tooth whitening will work for you. These include:
- Porcelain veneers, dental crowns, caps, fillings, or dental bonding on the front teeth. These synthetic materials do not respond well to bleaching products. You may need new crowns or veneers if you want these teeth to appear whiter.
- Yellow teeth usually bleach well, however brown teeth may not whiten as much. Teeth with gray tones, white spots, or discoloration from a "dead" tooth may not bleach at all.
- Some conditions may become worse if teeth are bleached. These include: sensitive teeth or teeth with worn enamel, and patients with bruxism (grinding or gnashing of teeth) or temporomandibular joint disorder. Consult your dentist.
- Tooth whitening is not effective if tooth discoloration is caused by medications or a tooth injury.
Possible Side Effects
- Sensitivity - teeth sensitivity to either hot or cold, and touch or pressure. People with receding gums, severe cracks, and cavities are more prone to sensitivity.This can last for 24 hours up to 1 month.
- Gum Irritation - the whitening agent causes a burn-like irritation for several days but it can be prevented by applying vitamin E oil to the gums before the treatment.
- Technicolor Teeth - crowns, veneers, and other restorations are not affected by bleaching and therefore will maintain their color while the natural teeth will be whitened.
Treatment Intervals: 2 weeks after 1st session or 6 months after if shade was achieved
Recommended Sessions: every 2-3 months or 6 months-1 year (it depends on an individual’s habits)
Aftercare: How to maintain the results from the teeth whitening treatment
- Avoid dark or strongly colored liquids (tea, coffee, red wine, cola, tomato juice)
- Acidic beverages (alcohol, soft drinks, fruit juices)
- Foods with natural or added colorants (beef, soy sauce, chocolate, ketchup, mustard, bologna)
- No smoking 24-48 hours
- Avoid drinks that leave dark stains
- Avoid food that leave dark stains
Schedule your Teeth Whitening appointment at Kay Elaine's Beauty Bar today!
Sparkling white teeth are the secret to a healthy and happy smile. 🦷✨ Get yourself those pearly whites now and book an appointment for Teeth Whitening with us! Here at Kay Elaine's Beauty Bar, our goal is to ensure that we are a welcoming one stop shop for all things beauty. We strive to ensure that if you walk through our door, you would leave as a renewed person. We want to help you feel and look your best, and be more confident with the help of our services.
Book your appointment today! Click the button below.