What are Combination Brows?
Combo brows are a combination of two forms of semi-permanent techniques: microblading and powder brows (shading). Combo brows are the best of both worlds. It comprises both hair-like strokes at the head of the brow as well as eyebrow shading throughout the rest of the brow. This service can be done as subtle or boldly as you’d like. Microblading hair-strokes are placed with a manual tool around the border of the brow to give the brow a natural look. The powder effect is applied to the body of the brow using a permanent makeup device to give the brow its fullness. The combination of microbladed hair strokes and a powder fill gives an incredibly natural looking brow. It's a bit more defined and filled in than just straight microbladed brows, and a bit less solid and dramatic than the ombre powder fill.
What is the process?
All semi-permanent makeup services will require an initial appointment and a 6-8 week touch-up appointment to perfect your brows. Failure to book your touch-up appointment within the 6-8 week window will result in unpredictable brow results.
Over time your eyebrows will fade, so annual touch ups (12 months from initial appointment) are highly recommended. Not only will you enjoy the benefits of maintained brows, but you will also receive $100 off for being a loyal Kay Elaine’s Beauty Bar brow client. The discount will be applied during booking.
On Average, How Long Does Combination Brows Last?
Combo Brows typically lasts 1-3 years, depending on skin type (normal, oily, dry), age (youthful/mature). To maintain the brows looking fresh, a touch up is suggested every 12-18 months.
Benefits of Combination Brows:
- You’ll be able to achieve denser and more defined brows.
- Your eyebrow will look fuller, more defined as well as dramatic.
- Your brows would still look so natural with a hint of makeup
- Combination brows are the best of both worlds, if you’re going for a natural look with a hint of makeup
- This is fantastic for someone who is looking for hair-like texture, definition and density.
- This combo method is also a better option for an individual with oily skin as microblading alone is not best suited for oily skin types.
- This is a confidence boost to all you beauties out there who wants to enhance their brows.
- This eliminates the need for daily maintenance, making your morning routine much easier and can cut your makeup time in half.
Who is a Good Candidate for Combination Brows?
Combo Brows work on different skin types and are great for clients with normal to moderately oily skin. For someone with very sparse brows, the shading can give the brow more body, while the hair-strokes keep it looking natural.
Is there anything that will prevent me from being serviced?
- You cannot be pregnant and/or breastfeeding. You may book brow services 90 days after breastfeeding.
- No medication outside of vitamins and/or birth control pills
- No diabetes
- No serious disease such as cancer, autoimmune disorders, circulatory and bleeding disorders
- No skin irritation in service area (this includes but are not limited to symptoms of skin disease, lesions, acne, raised bumps, birthmarks, and moles)
- No waxing or plucking your brows (must wait at least 72 hours). Brows can be threaded before your appointment
- No chemical peels within 3 weeks prior to your appointment
- No exfoliators within 72 hours of your service appointment. i.e. Skin products that contains Retin A, Renova, Alpha Hydroxyl Acids, and Glycolic acid
- No Accutane and/or Isotretinoin (you must wait at least 6 months after your last dosage)
- No Botox injections as this may result in an uneven brow shape when injection wears
- No keloids or tendency to keloid (applies to Microblading)
- No blood thinners or retinoids
- No caffeinated drinks and/or alcohol within 48 hours of your scheduled appointment (they act as blood thinners and can cause excessive bleeding during the service)
How long does it take to Heal?
It takes approximately 7-14 days for the brows to heal over, and about 1 month for the color to fully set in.
Is the touch up session necessary?
Yes! A touch up session after 4-6 weeks is necessary as everyone heals differently and outcomes will vary. Certain areas may not pick up during the first session and will need to be refilled. Pigment color may need to be adjusted, brow thickness and more strokes can be added.
Do I get to pick my brow shape?
No, your brow shape will be determined based on the shape and structure of your face. Do not fret, the service will not begin until you approve the shape and outline. You will be included throughout the entire process; NOTHING will be done without getting your approval first.
Will it hurt?
Pain threshold levels vary from person to person. A local anesthetic will be applied during the brow service to ensure you remain comfortable & as pain-free as possible. Most clients report the service more discomforting than painful. The client’s comfort is a top priority for Kay Elaine’s Beauty Bar. Because of this, we will do our best to ensure you are comfortable for the duration of your appointment. You can bring headphones to your appointment.
What should I expect after my appointment?
You may experience redness in your brow area, please do not be alarmed; this will disappear within a few hours. Your brows will not heal perfectly after the first session. Please keep in mind this is a 2-step process. Please be patient during your 14-day healing process as your brows will change daily during this time.
Due to oxidation, the brow color will appear darker than the initial color on the first day, this is completely normal.
The skin in the brow area will begin to scab. You should begin the use of the aftercare cream given to you at the time of your appointment.
The skin in the brow area will continue to crust and eventually shed. It is imperative that you do not assist the scabbing by picking at your brows. This could cause the pigment that was placed to lift prematurely and/or cause scarring to the service area.
By now, the crust should have completely shed and the pigment behind may look very light. Please, do not be worried! The color will gradually return in the days to come.
Your brows should be completely healed externally. You may resume washing and makeup in the brow area. You should never chemical peer and/or exfoliate directly over your brows; however, your normal skin routine may resume.
Post Day 14:
Your brow tattoo will take up to 4 weeks (28 days) to fully heal underneath the skin. The color will continue to change from day to day until the healing process is complete. You may experience itchiness in the brows after the 10 days and up to 2 months after your appointment due to your brows healing internally. Your skin type and lifestyle determine the longevity of your brows. Please note that even with proper aftercare, your brows can result in patches or faded spots. This is normal as your body is trying to reject the foreign object from your body (this is your body’s way of healing). This is why the 6-8 week touch-up is required, to replace any pigment or hair strokes lost during your healing process.
What should I AVOID doing after the procedure?
- DO NOT sweat excessively for 10 days. Sweat contains salt and can infect and prematurely fade your new brows. Salt in the sweat could possibly alter the color of your brows. Moderate exercise is fine.
- DO NOT pick the crust off of your brows!
- DO NOT expose your brows to the sun during your healing process. UV Rays can alter the pigment of your brows as well. Following the first 10 days SPF is important for the longevity of your micropigmentation.
- DO NOT run direct water on your brows. This is especially important in the first few days, as you do not want to prematurely wash out any pigment. You can wash around your brows.
- DO NOT use Vaseline, antibiotic creams or gels, vitamin creams, or retinol acids on the brow area. Only use the aftercare cream given to you by your brow artist.
- DO NOT use any makeup, creams, exfoliants on the brows for 10-14 days.
- DO NOT go into saunas, pools, and/or steam rooms.
- DO NOT get massages, facials, skin treatments, or use exfoliants during the healing process.
- DO NOT go tanning and if you do cover your brows, UV rays can alter the color of your brows.
- DO NOT use laser light therapy on your brows. This can darken, lighten, and/or distort the pigment
Following all Post treatment Instructions will maximize your results and minimize your risk of complications. Please contact us with questions or concerns regarding your treatment.
Schedule your Combination Brows appointment at Kay Elaine's Beauty Bar today!
Here at Kay Elaine's Beauty Bar, our goal is to ensure that we are a welcoming one stop shop for all things beauty. We strive to ensure that if you walk through our door, you would leave as a renewed person. We want to help you feel and look your best, and be more confident with the help of our services. So if you’re thinking of trying Combination brows and enhance your beauty, feel free to get in touch with us today. We can help you enhance your beauty by giving you fuller and more defined brows.
Book your appointment today! Click the button below.